NHL Rumor Mill – August 13, 2018
Could the Bruins attempt to bring back Tyler Seguin? Why didn’t the Wild shake up their core this summer? Find out in your NHL rumor mill.
COULD SEGUIN RETURN TO THE BRUINS?
NBC SPORTS BOSTON: Joe Haggerty took note of the fact the Dallas Stars had yet to re-sign Tyler Seguin to a contract extension. Considering they were among the teams attempting to woo John Tavares earlier this summer, Haggerty wonders if that suggests they might not end up re-signing Seguin, who’s due to become an unrestricted free agent next July.
Should Seguin become available via trade or free agency, Haggerty ponders the possibility of a reunion with the Boston Bruins, whose previous management shipped the talented forward to Dallas back in 2013. While Seguin’s offensive skills and production are enticing, there’s also concerns about paying too much money for “a very-good player on a bad team” who puts up big stats “until the ice gets difficult to fight for and product.”
SPECTOR’S NOTE: The Seguin trade was one of the worst moves in Bruins history and has paid continuing dividends for the Stars. Last month, Dallas general manager Jim Nill said he’s had continuing dialogue with the Seguin camp regarding an extension and advised Stars fans not to panic if the high-scoring forward wasn’t under contract when the season opens in October. There’s still plenty of time for the two sides to work out an agreement.
While one shouldn’t fully dismiss the possibility of Seguin returning to Boston, especially with the changes in the Bruins’ front office and behind the bench over the past five years, I don’t believe that reunion takes place unless they intend to part company with Patrice Bergeron or David Krejci in the near future. That’s a scenario I don’t see happening anytime soon.
Cap Friendly indicates the Bruins have over $62 million invested in 16 players for 2019-20. Young defenseman Charlie McAvoy and Brandon Carlo and forward Danton Heinen are restricted free agents next summer who could seek substantial raises. They’ll also have to re-sign or replace UFAs Zdeno Chara and Adam McQuaid.
Boston pundits believe one of the Bruins’ biggest needs is adding a physical scoring winger. If they go into the free-agent market next summer to address that issue, it could be to pursue someone such as Philadelphia’s Wayne Simmonds, who would be a more affordable signing than Seguin.
ARE ANY CHANGES COMING FOR THE WILD’S CORE THIS SUMMER?
THE ATHLETIC: In his latest mailbag segment, Michael Russo was asked why Paul Fenton, the Minnesota Wild’s new general manager, failed to shake up the roster core or add a top-six forward this summer. He said it wasn’t for a lack of trying but Fenton didn’t receive any offers to his liking. The Wild’s biggest needs are for a right-shot top-six forward and a promising goaltender.
Russo said there had been some trade talk regarding Jason Zucker (who recently re-signed with the Wild), Nino Niederreiter and Charlie Coyle and also believes Eric Staal, Jared Spurgeon and Matt Dumba (who also re-signed this summer) were among others who may have come up in discussion.
Russo thinks the reason Niederreiter and Coyle weren’t moved was because of their low trade value. He also feels they didn’t want to move defenseman Jonas Brodin due to concern over the health of Ryan Suter, who suffered a season-ending fracture ankle in late-March.
SPECTOR’S NOTE: Zucker, Niederreiter, Coyle and Dumba often surfaced over the past year as possible trade candidates. The recent signings of Zucker and Dumba, however, indicate Fenton feels they still have important long-term roles to play with the Wild.
Fenton didn’t rule out making a big move during his introductory press conference in May. However he and team owner Craig Leipold stressed their intent to tweak the lineup rather than make wholesale changes. I think Fenton wants to evaluate his roster in the coming season before making any major shakeups. Niederreiter or Coyle could be part of those changes if the Wild fail to improve.